Hello, we are the Technical Skills team at Crisis SkyIight Croydon. On this page you will find a varied selection of online courses, teaching tutorials and resources to help you to continue to learn and develop your technical skills. From bespoke design briefs learning how to construct cardboard ‘sketch’ models, to posting out loom kits and videos of how to weave your own cushion panels. There will be tips, tutorials and videos for model-making, carpentry and decorating as well as access to external free courses.
Alongside this, we will include useful video links, access to online design and craft magazine resources as well as live projects set by top design companies.
Painting and Decorating
DIY - Repair Tips and Tutorials for inside your Accommodation
Building Flat pack Furniture
Want to learn how to put together flat pack furniture from Argos and Ikea?
Model making – Covid-19 cardboard model making
We have lots of video resources related to design and model making for you to watch and learn from:
- Sketch Model introduction
- Sketch Model example
- Learn in more with this in depth video on prototyping and model making
- Click here for a video on ‘brainstorming’
- An interesting video on brainstorming design ideas
Want to learn more about sketching?
Want to get some inspiration?
- Click here for some useful online design magazines
- This magazine is a great helpful resource to come back to during this course. It gives a great explanation on the product design process, brainstorming, initial ideas, and development.
Watch these video resources on weaving
- Weaving for beginners'
- Weaving loops into your design
- Cushion weaving video to help understand your design
- If you are feeling creative and have a table in the room you are staying here you can weave a scarf using very basic materials
- Click here for a beginners guide article with links to further instructions
- Article on modern weavers
Make a Macramé knot plant hanger
DIY, Painting and Decorating, Carpentry and Woodcraft
We have lots of really interesting video resources for you to watch to help you build your own models. Take your time to explore the links below.