Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
This is a voluntary role which sits within the Crisis at Christmas team.
Crisis at Christmas operates a network of temporary day and residential centres across London providing services and support for over 3,900 homeless and vulnerably housed people. We operate 9 centres over the Christmas period (22 - 30 December inclusive) serviced from our Warehouse and Operations centre. We rely on 10,000 volunteers who contribute their skills and time to make Crisis at Christmas happen each year.
The Corporate Donations volunteer works as part of the Resources Team and assists with securing and receiving deliveries of gifts in kind donations. You will be responding to enquiries from potential donors over email, phone, or face to face. You will also be supporting the safe delivery of donations of food, equipment and other resources to the Crisis storage space.
This role provides exposure and practical experience of liaising with corporate donors, social enterprises, charities and individual donors who donate food, equipment, and other essential resources for Crisis at Christmas.
What you will gain
- Opportunity to gain experience of working with a major UK homeless Charity
- Opportunity to be part of a team making a real difference to the lives of homeless people over the Christmas period
- Experience within a specialist gifts in kind team employing fundraising techniques
- Experience of working in a warehouse environment
- Induction to the role and Crisis
- On the job training and any other relevant training will be provided
- One to ones with a designated supervisor
- Being part of a dynamic team
- References for prospective employers
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed. Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for 1 day.
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Receive deliveries of gifts in kind donations, sorting, checking for quality, and recording details on the resources system
- Respond to enquiries regarding donations from organisations, charities and individuals via email, phone, or face to face
- Assist with opening and closing stock take
- Assist with the re-distribution of surplus items to charities and non-profit organisations post event
- Participate in meetings, volunteer training sessions, and ‘on-the –job’ training for a complete and rounded volunteering experience
The skills and experience we are looking for
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A clear interest in, and knowledge about, the work that Crisis does
- Good administration skills and attention to detail
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness