Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
We are looking for passionate, enthusiastic, lively and dedicated people to support our campaigning and fundraising efforts across our 50th year. You will be part of a team tasked with supporting events and activities, talking to community groups, schools and colleges and taking the lead to find ways to ensure the public have a greater understanding of homelessness. What’s distinct about this role is that it’s designed to fit in with your life. We don’t expect you to make every event or appointment and we don’t want you to feel guilty if you’re not available. By giving us your time in this way you will be fighting to end homelessness.
What you will gain
- Experience communicating with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Training suitable to your role
- Learning more about homelessness and the charity sector
- Getting involved in ending homelessness and seeing how you have personally contributed
- The opportunity to be part of an influential network of volunteers and meet new people
- The opportunity to be one of the first to hear stories about Crisis’ life changing work
- Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed where appropriate
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Giving awareness raising talks to interested groups, schools and colleges.
- Helping to promote our fundraising events and activities
- Helping to deliver fundraising activity
- Supporting and representing Crisis Brent at events
- Liaising with your Volunteer Co-ordinator about planned talks and developing new opportunities to raise awareness of homelessness
- Provide feedback on talks and notifying your Crisis Action Team Leader about new opportunities for fundraising
- Working with our media team to ensure that maximum awareness is raised about Crisis, our campaigns and our 50th year
- Keep up to date with Crisis’ key messages, fundraising initiatives and news
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Friendly, positive and confident in talking to a range of people and happy to answer questions from an audience
- Passionate about ending homelessness
- Flexibility and an ability to undertake a range of tasks
- Ability to follow guidance but also take the initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness