Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
Crisis Skylight are looking for individuals to assist on our front-line services so our clients receive the best possible support to move on from homelessness.
You will provide a welcoming atmosphere for visitors to Skylight and head office, greeting people and making sure they are directed to the correct part of the building or contacting the people they are visiting to ensure they are collected. You will be responsible for administration tasks including data entry on our bespoke database and researching the internet for other services that could support our clients. If you feel comfortable with doing so, you will also answer telephone enquiries.
What you will gain
- Experience of volunteering with a major UK Homeless Charity
- Opportunity to gain experience with our client group, interpreting, customer service and administration
- Opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of homeless people
- One to one support from a designated line manager
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed and lunch expenses reimbursed if volunteering over a mealtime, or over 4 hours.
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Welcome visitors to Skylight and head office
- Administration tasks include data entry on our bespoke database, researching the internet for other services that could support our clients
- Answering the telephone (optional)
The skills & experience we are looking for
- An understanding of and empathy towards the barriers faced by homeless individuals
- Basic IT skills – Internet and Word
- Patience and a welcoming nature
- A non-judgmental attitude
- An interest in working with people and helping in a supportive environment