Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground-breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
Role outline and the difference you will make
Here at Crisis Skylight Newcastle we run several special events throughout the year. These events are wide ranging and include our end of term celebration events, trips to local attractions, beach cleans, bucket collections, volunteer training events, events at local organisations including schools and colleges and the Great North Run / Zip Wire. We would like the help of a group of friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to assist us in all aspects of running events. From this we would also like to create a work-group of volunteers on a Tuesday to initiate contact with local organisations and plan entirely volunteer-led events – either bag packs at supermarkets or bake sales etc.
Volunteers would not need to be available at a set time, but would be asked about volunteering at events as and when the events are planned. We hope that this means it will be flexible a volunteer opportunity for those with other commitments.
What you will gain
- Informative and structured induction to the role and the organisation
- Gain experience of supporting homeless people
- Travel expenses reimbursed (public transport only) to and from your place of volunteering and lunch voucher (if over 4 hours of volunteering)
- Make a real difference to the lives of others by ensuring the positive and smooth running of events
- Development of people skills: encouraging, listening, confidence building, etc - in both
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Assisting in the preparation of resources and materials for use at special events
- Help with the planning and evaluation of events
- Supporting the running of the event with tasks such as registration of attendees, facilitating activities and workshops, and information distribution
- Provide information about Crisis and the services we deliver
- Promote Crisis to potential members and volunteers
The skills and experience we are looking for
- Interest in gaining experience of working with a homeless charity
- Interest in contributing to unique and enjoyable events
- Friendly and confident in speaking to a wide range of people
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness