Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
We are looking for people with experience of homelessness who want to contribute to the work of Crisis. You will meet as a panel of Experts by Experience to discuss and inform the work of Crisis. This will ensure that the perspective of people with lived experience of homelessness is a core part of Crisis and included in how we develop strategies, policies, planning and how we engage people with our cause. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to debate and influence decision making in the wider homelessness sector. You will be helping to end homelessness.
We are looking for volunteers from across the northern half of England and Scotland. Meetings will be held in York.
What you will gain
- An opportunity to be part of a team who are committed to ending homelessness
- An opportunity to contribute to the development and improvement of Crisis
- Experience of discussing and influencing a variety of areas of work at Crisis
- Support from a dedicated member of staff in the team
- Induction and training to the role
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
- Opportunities to meet and network with staff and fellow volunteers during the year
- Additional optional opportunities to take apart in Crisis meetings and other activities
- Out of pocket travel and food expenses are reimbursed in line with our policy.
Core tasks and what you will achieve
Attending quarterly meetings at Crisis where you will be involved in –
- Informing planning and new developments at Crisis
- Oversight of specific projects
- Reviewing internal organisational activity and approaches that have the potential to affect people with experience of homelessness
- Consulting on and contributing to the development of Crisis external activity such as campaigns and policy work
- Monitor and review member involvement at Crisis
- Contribute to debate and influence decision making in the wider homelessness sector
- Reading relevant meeting information in advance
- Attending other meetings and activities to contribute to the work of Crisis
The skills and experience we are looking for
- An understanding of the issues faced by people who are homeless gained through personal experience of homelessness
- Confidence to take part in meetings and contribute your opinions
- The ability to work with others, take part in constructive discussion and respect other view points
- A willingness to share your knowledge and experience and to give open and honest feedback to improve Crisis
- The ability to read information to prepare for meetings
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- Reliability and good time keeping
- Ability to communicate by email
- Willing to travel independently to meetings
- Commitment to Crisis values and a passion and enthusiasm for ending homelessness
We will also be looking for one of the Expert by Experience Panel members to chair the meetings. Training and support will be provided. If you would be interested in taking on this responsibility please mention this on your application.
- All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive and productive