Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
Furthering the reach of our members’ voices and producing a creative response to the work of our members. This will help to promote the work of Crisis, give members a feeling of achievement and give members a wider range of creative experiences.
“HALO magazine is a termly magazine produced by Crisis members within a creative writing class, it consists of various fiction and non-fiction pieces often centred around a particular theme.”
What you will gain
- Creative, editorial experience in a national organisation
- The opportunity to share existing or develop new skills in a friendly and supportive environment
- Opportunities to work with staff and fellow volunteers during the year and an invite to our member celebrations where you can help us recognise the achievements of our members
- Regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss how your volunteering is going and what other opportunities and training may be available to you together with an induction
- A platform for building confidence
- A reference from a reputable organisation
- With input from the tutor and class members create and edit the HALO magazine using members’ creative writing and art work
- Create a regular blog of members’ work, which can be published on Crisis’ social media
Who we are looking for
- Art and Graphic Design skills and experience in using creative and illustrational software
- Experience in online publishing
- Interpersonal communication skills with a particular focus on listening
- Good time-keeping and reliability
- Non-judgmental, patient and friendly
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
We expect volunteers to comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times.
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed where appropriate
- We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and from people with disabilities