Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
Role outline and the difference you will make
Our Learning Team provide a range of classes that give our members structure, purpose and meaning, all of which are essential first steps to goal setting and achievement. As well as enabling our members to gain qualifications that improve employability and minimise financial exclusion, we deliver group sessions to tackle boredom, widen social networks and improve mental and physical health.
We are looking for a friendly and enthusiastic volunteer with good communication and administration skills to assist the learning team. You will help to break down the barriers that can prevent our members attending group sessions by exploring what these barriers are and helping to find ways in which to remove them. This could involve accompanying them to these sessions to introduce them to activities. The role will also involve supporting the learning team in providing a quality learning experience by assisting with the preparation of promotional materials and learning resources.
What you will gain
- Work directly with Crisis members, making a positive impact on their progression out of homelessness
- Experience in communicating with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience in creating learning resources and materials
- The opportunity to be part of an influential network of volunteers and meet new people
- Induction to the role and Crisis
- On the job training and support with a designated supervisor
- Opportunity to gain experience of working with a major UK homeless charity
- Support and training
- Being part of a dynamic team
- References for prospective employers
- Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed where appropriate
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Work in collaboration with the learning team to create positive outcomes for members
- Contact members to make them aware of learning opportunities
- Help members to attend new classes, activities and events
- Create resources and materials for use in learning activities
- Provide admin support to the learning team
- Provide encouragement and feedback to empower members to attend learning activities independently
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Good communication skills
- Confident use of IT (Microsoft office packages, email etc.)
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- A clear interest in the work that Crisis does
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- A good understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness