Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground-breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
We are looking for Male Befriender volunteers to support our members by taking part in a one-to-one befriending service. You will need to be willing to befriend our most vulnerable and socially isolated members, assisting them in accessing their local community and if needed, be willing to offer support and guidance.
What you will gain
- Workplace experience in a national organisation
- The opportunity to share existing or develop new skills in a friendly and supportive environment
- Opportunities to work with staff and fellow volunteers during the year and an invite to our member celebrations where you can help us recognise the achievements of our members
- Regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss how your volunteering is going and what other. opportunities and training may be available to you together with an induction.
- A platform for building confidence
- A reference from a reputable organisation
- Build a rapport with any members you may be working with, at their pace
- Report back to your supervisor by phone or email with regular updates
- Advise the Volunteer Coordinator and your linked member if they are unable to keep an appointment with them due to illness or other commitments
- Ensure meetings and events attended are appropriate and the choice of both parties
- Value our members’ knowledge, experiences and opinions
- Report any concerns to the Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Attend training events if and when able
Who we are looking for
- An understanding of the needs and behaviours of vulnerable adults and an ability to engage the specified client group
- Interpersonal communication skills with a particular focus on listening
- Good time-keeping and reliability
- Non-judgemental, patient and friendly
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
We expect volunteers to comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times.
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed where appropriate
- We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and from people with disabilities
- A Basic Disclosure will be required if successful. Crisis will cover the cost of this.
- This vacancy is not open to current Crisis members.