Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground-breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
Role outline and the difference you will make
We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic volunteers to help us to offer new opportunities to our members. Our members can often be reluctant to try new events or services, and can miss out on opportunities because of low confidence or self-esteem, being unsure of what is involved, or what is expected of them, or having not realised that the opportunity was available to them.
You will be part of a team who will telephone our existing members, discuss available services, and invite them to try new things. This could be a new class that has started, a member event or celebration, or to invite them to give us their views on our work. There will be a member of staff on hand to deal with any complex queries that arise, and training will be provided to help identify and address any barriers to the members’
What you will gain
- Develop telephone and customer service skills
- Gain experience communicating with people from diverse backgrounds through formal training and experience
- The opportunity to be part of an influential network of volunteers and meet new people
- The opportunity to be one of the first to hear stories about Crisis’ life changing work
- A way to learn more about homelessness and the charity sector through a structured induction
- Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed where appropriate
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Telephoning existing members, inviting them to new events and services and widening participation
- Helping members to overcome barriers and get involved
- Helping to improve our services by gathering feedback
- Helping members to feel up to date and included in our work
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Good communication skills, particularly over the phone
- A clear interest in, and knowledge about, the work that Crisis does
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Friendly and confident in talking to a range of people and happy to answer questions
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness