Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
We are looking for a group of friendly and enthusiastic volunteers who love engaging people to ensure existing and potential Members and local community know about Crisis’ services.
The volunteers will promote Crisis in our partner organisations and outreach locations across Croydon. The role will involve maintaining links with our partner organisations whether by email, phone calls or in person.
There is also potential to work with the Fundraising manager/Department on supporter promotions at ad-hoc events.
Liaise with Members and staff to find success stories and report events that Crisis Skylight Croydon were involved with that could be used on the local Crisis Website and on the Crisis Yammer Crisis Skylight service.
Being able to upload photos of events and report on events would be really useful.
What you will gain
- Induction to the role and Crisis
- On the job training and support with a designated supervisor
- Opportunity to gain experience of working with a major UK homeless Charity
- Support and training to develop promotional skills
- Being part of a dynamic team
- References for prospective employers
- Travel expenses (Reimbursed.) Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for over five hours or over a meal time up to £5.
- To visit existing classes in order to promote new and existing activities and events.
- To meet with and visit current partner organisations and other services within the city in order to promote Crisis.
- To provide information and guidance on our courses in the venues in which we deliver.
- To ensure that partner organisations have current and up to date information about our services.
- Promote services at Crisis at Christmas and throughout the year.
- Keep up to date with Crisis’ key messages and news through Yammer and local Crisis Media links
The skills and experience we are looking for
- Good communication skills
- Friendly and confident in talking to a range of people and happy to answer questions
- A clear interest in, and knowledge about, the work that Crisis does
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Ability to use IT and use websites
- Aware of confidentiality around data protection.
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness