Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people’s lives. Every year we work side by side with thousands of homeless people, to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
The Crisis shops (Shop from Crisis) primarily sell donated goods sourced from the community.
Crisis works with the local communities and volunteers to develop shops that customers like and engages people with the Crisis mission and advocate for homeless people across the UK.
They also provide opportunities for Crisis members to gain work experience in various aspects of retail, build self-confidence, sell arts and crafts and be active in the community in which they live.
The shops will extend the reach of the Crisis brand and directly support political and fundraising campaigns against homelessness.
You will be welcoming and helpful to our customers in the shop. You will also be assisting the shop manager with various tasks and duties in order to run the shop effectively.
What you will gain
- Induction to the role and on Crisis as an organisation
- Being part of a dynamic team
- Support and training to develop retail and customer service skills
- Experience of working with a major UK homelessness charity
- References for prospective employers
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed. Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for a whole day
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Carry out various retail tasks including sorting, pricing, steaming, visual merchandising, customer service and operating a till in a shop environment
- Provide courteous and helpful customer service
- Screen donated products for saleable quality items and presenting goods for sale
- Work cooperatively and with respect for fellow team members
- Understand and accept responsibility to uphold Health and Safety procedure
The skills & experience we are looking for
- Commitment to Crisis’ purpose and values including equality and social inclusion
- Comfortable talking to customers or prior customer service experience
- Knowledge of fashion trends in clothing and household goods would be useful
- Ideally to have interest or experience of working in a retail environment
- Ability to follow instructions and take initiative when required
- To be able to work collaboratively with others and as part of a team
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Please note this opportunity is available for over 18s.
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness