Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
The Crisis shops (Shop from Crisis) primarily sell donated goods sourced from the local community.
Crisis works with communities and volunteers to develop shops that customers like and that engage people with Crisis’ mission to end homelessness.
Shop from Crisis also provides opportunities for Crisis members to gain work experience in various aspects of retail, build self-confidence and be active in their community.
The shops extend the reach of the Crisis brand and directly support political and fundraising campaigns to end homelessness.
You will be welcoming our customers and deliver a friendly customer service in the shop.
You will also be assisting the shop manager with various tasks and duties in order to run the shop effectively.
What you will gain
- Induction to the role and on Crisis as an organisation
- Being part of a dynamic team
- Support and training to develop retail and customer service skills
- Experience of working with a major UK homeless Charity
- References for prospective employers
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed. Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for 1 day
- To carry out various retail tasks including sorting, pricing, steaming, visual merchandising, customer service and operating a till in a shop environment
- Provide courteous and helpful customer service
- Screening donated products for saleable quality items and presenting goods for sale
- Work cooperatively and with respect for fellow team members
- Understand and accept responsibility to uphold Health and Safety procedures.
The skills and experience we are looking for
- Commitment to Crisis’ purpose and values including equality and social inclusion
- Interest in customer service or retail
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- To be able to work collaboratively with others and as part of a team
- Ability to follow instructions and also take initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and communication skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- This opportunity is available to over 18s only
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness