Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good.
Through our pioneering research into the causes and consequences of homelessness and the solutions to it, we know what it will take to end it.
Together with others who share our resolve, we bring our knowledge, experience and determination to campaign for the changes that will solve the homelessness crisis once and for all.
We bring together a unique volunteer effort each Christmas, to bring warmth, companionship and vital services to people at one of the hardest times of the year, and offer a starting point out of homelessness.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Role outline and the difference you will make
The Crisis café operates from inside the Crisis charity shop (Shop from Crisis) and sells high quality hot and cold drinks, homemade cakes and snacks.
The Shop from Crisis sells donated goods sourced from the local community.
Crisis works with the local communities and volunteers to develop shops and cafes that customers like and that engage people with the Crisis mission and advocate for homeless people across the UK.
The organisation provide opportunities for Crisis members to gain work experience in various aspects of café operation and retail, build self-confidence, sell arts and crafts, and be active in the community in which
You will be volunteering in the Crisis café serving drinks and snacks and at quiet times helping in the shop welcoming customers and with various tasks.
What you will gain
- Induction to the role and Crisis
- Support and training to develop Barista and retail skills, till and customer service training
- Opportunity to gain experience of working with a major UK homeless Charity
- Support and training to develop retail skills
- Being part of a dynamic team
- References for prospective employers
- Travel expenses (within Greater London) reimbursed. Lunch expenses paid if you volunteer for 1 day
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Deliver hygienic and efficient production and presentation of all food and drink products served at the shop’s Café
- To follow food safety and food hygiene at all times
- Maintain full product knowledge of our menu to relay to our customers
- Ensure the Café meets the highest standards and expectations in all aspects of product and service quality
- Maintain excellent standards of customer service by valuing customer feedback
- Assist the shops team ensuring the Café is kept to a high standard of cleanliness, making sure that all stock is checked, filled and rotated and that opening and closing procedures are kept accordingly
- Support the Shop Manager and Assistant Shop Managers with other duties in the shop such as tidying stock, cleaning, sorting and pricing) when the Café is quiet
The skills and experience we are looking for
- Commitment to Crisis’ purpose and values including equality and social inclusion
- Good customer focus and ability to maintain a high standard of customer service
- Working knowledge of food hygiene and health and safety
- Good communications skills and ability to interact with a range of people including suppliers, colleagues, volunteers, and members of the local community
- To be able to work collaboratively with others and as part of a team
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- Ability to follow instructions and also take the initiative when required
- Enthusiasm, patience and respect for others
- Good time keeping, attendance and listening skills
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Please note this opportunity is available for over 18s
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
- Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
- Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness