Videos and presentations
February 7 2022: APPG for Ending Homelessness joint meeting with the APPG for Immigration Law and Policy on how we can end the homelessness of EU nationals living in Britain
On 7 February we held a joint meeting with the APPG for Immigration Law and Policy on how we can end the homelessness of EU nationals living in Britain. Alongside Stephen Timms MP chairing the meeting, we heard contributions from:
- Matt Downie, Chief Executive, Crisis
- Lucy Mort, Senior Fellow, IPPR
- Daniel Ashwell, Advice Services Manager, Praxis
- Barbara Drozdowicz, Chief Executive, East European Resource Centre
October 21 2021: APPG for Ending Homelessness informal meeting on how the Government can make the exempt accommodation sector work for everyone
On 21 October we held an informal meeting examining the role and impact of the non-commissioned exempt accommodation sector on tenants living there. Alongside Bob Blackman MP chairing the meeting, we heard contributions from:
- Matt Downie, Director of Policy and External Affairs, Crisis
- Vicky McDermott, CEO, Prospect Housing
- Cllr Sharon Thompson, Cabinet member for Vulnerable Children and Families, Birmingham City Council
- Guy Chaundy, Senior Manager, Housing Strategy, Birmingham City Council
- Cathy Page, Deputy Director, Housing with Care & Support, Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities representing the Minister for Rough Sleeping and Housing
July 20 2021: Launch event of the APPG's Housing First report: 'It's like a dream come true: An inquiry into scaling up Housing First in England
Following an extensive Parliamentary inquiry into Housing First in England, where the APPG heard from world-leading authorities on Housing First, the Metro Mayors in the current pilot areas, 20 organisations delivering Housing First services and 65 people with lived experience of the programme, the APPG launched its report with recommendations ahead of upcoming spending decisions from the Government. Alongside our MP Co-Chairs, Neil Coyle and Bob Blackman, we heard from:
- Eddie Hughes MP, Minister for Rough Sleeping and Housing
- Andy Burnham, Greater Manchestor Mayor
- Andy Street, West Midlands Mayor
- Christopher, direct experience of Housing First
You can read the full report here.
June 8 2021: APPG for Ending Homelessness event on the impact of homelessness on children
On 8 June we held a meeting to discuss the impact of homelessness on children and families. Alongside speeches from the Co-Chairs of the APPG for Ending Homelessness, Bob Blackman MP and Neil Coyle MP, we heard contributions from:
- Professor Monica Lakhanpaul, Professor of Integrated Community Child Health and Consultant Paediatrician, UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health.
- Maxine Jenkins, Specialist Health Visitor and Queen’s Nurse who represented Health Visitors working with homeless families around the UK.
- Dr Sarah Cockman, Outreach Paediatrician for Homeless Families, Shared Health Foundation.
- Sam Dorney-Smith, Registered Nurse, Community Specialist Practitioner, Nurse Project Lead (Queen’s Nursing Institute Homeless Health Programme), Secretary (London Network of Nurse’s and Midwives Homelessness Group).
- Two individuals with direct experience of homelessness, who have been supported by the Magpie Project and UCL.