Skip to main content

Working with us

If you would like to work with us and let your property to our clients with peace of mind that your best interests are looked after, we will ask you to provide some documents to ensure you are compliant with current landlord regulations.

Find out more about the documentation we require for:



Health and safety



London property licensing varies from borough to borough, making it tricky to keep up with changing legislation in different parts of the city.

1. Landlord licensing

If you have a property in a selective licensing area, you are required to get a "landlord license" from the local council before being permitted to let the property. 

2. HMO licensing

If you want to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation in England or Wales you may need to obtain a license from the council.

Crisis can help you by keeping you informed about all licensing requirements where you have rental properties and can also assist with your license application from start to finish.


1. Letting with a mortgage

Usually, buy-to-let mortgages are used to fund the purchase of the property which is intended to be let. If you wish to let a property with an existing owner-occupier mortgage, you must seek consent from your mortgage lender and insurance provider.

Health and safety

As a landlord you must keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards and make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained.

1. EPC

An EPC is a compulsory review of how energy efficient a property is. It is a legal requirement for landlords to have a valid EPC in place with a minimum band E rating before the property is advertised for let.

See the minimum energy efficiency standard guidance for landlords.

2. Gas Safety Certificates

A compulsory test proving that gas appliances and supply points in the property are safe. GSCs must be renewed every 12 months by a registered engineer who will check the flue and appliance. Even if we don't manage your rental portfolio, we can assist you with arranging these checks.

Also, remember to give your tenants a copy of the new GSC within 28 days of the check

Find out more about landlord safety responsibilities


The Portable Appliance Test (PAT) ensures all portable electrical appliances in your property are tested and approved as safe to use.

The resulting PAT certificate documents the safety testing of portable electrical appliances e.g. fridge/freezer, washing machine, toaster etc.

An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) assesses the safety of the existing electrical installation within a property and describes its condition. The assessment will cover consumer units (fuse boards), protective bonding, lighting, switches, sockets etc.

From 1st July 2020 all new tenancies (including renewals) will need an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) with a rating of ‘satisfactory’. All existing tenancies will need a valid EICR with a with a rating of ‘satisfactory’ from 1st April 2021.

Find out more in the guide for electrical safety standards for landlords.

If you have further questions about what an EICR means for you as a landlord, please contact us.

4. Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarms

All rental properties must have a smoke alarm fitted on each floor.

We also advise fitting a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a boiler, even though this is not a legal requirement unless there is a solid fuel-burning appliance in the room.

When new tenants move into your property you should document that alarms have batteries fitted and are in good working order. Fire safety regulations are being tightened regularly as the government pushes for higher standards across the rental sector. 

See the explanatory booklet for landlords.

5. Legionnaires' Disease

A form of pneumonia that is caused by inhalation of droplets of water containing the Legionella bacteria.

While uncommon, it is the responsibility of all landlords to assess their properties for risk.

A very simple initial assessment will show if water systems in your properties are at risk. Most normal domestic systems are considered low-risk due to the regular usage and flow of water, limiting standing water.


1. Deposit protection scheme

You must place your tenants’ deposit in a tenancy deposit protection (TDP) scheme if you rent out your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007.

These government-backed schemes ensure your tenants will get their deposit back if they:

  • meet the terms of your tenancy agreement
  • do not damage the property
  • pay the rent and bills

You (or your letting agent) must put your tenants’ deposit in the scheme within 30 days of getting it

2. Commencing the tenancy

Upon starting a new tenancy, you must provide the tenant with; an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property, a gas safety certificate (if your property has gas appliances) and the latest How to Rent Booklet.

We can provide landlords advice and support on all of the above, but we can’t help a tenant move in until they are in place. If you would like further information, please contact us

3. Clean and Check-in

Rental properties must be clean when a tenant moves in, and a check-in records the state of the property at the time.

This makes both the move-in and move-out process run smoothly and minimises disagreements and delays when claiming for cleaning or damages at the end of a tenancy.

We advise a professional clean before the move-in date and an independent inventory at check-in to record the exact condition of all spaces inside and outside the property.

4. Right to Rent

It is a legal requirement to thoroughly check a tenant's right to rent a property in the UK.

All clients put forward by Crisis will have the right to rent in the UK.

Find out more about how to let your property.