Skip to main content

Get help if you're experiencing homelessness

If you're homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless, we’re here to help.  

We welcome everyone who comes to us for support. Sometimes, we will not be best placed to provide the support you need. If we are confident you can receive the right support elsewhere, we will help refer you to these services. And we will provide you with all the information you need so that you know what to do next.  

Our focus is on supporting people who face the most barriers and cannot access support elsewhere. This could apply to you if you are unable to use public services because of your immigration status for example. Or if you need extra support accessing services. 

When you first contact us, you will hear back from a member of our team within 24 hours. They will work out whether Crisis is best placed to help you, or whether there are other services that can. If being supported by Crisis is the best option for you, you will become a Crisis member and be assigned a Lead Worker. Your Lead Worker will be your consistent point of contact, guiding you through the various services Crisis has to offer.  

We can offer support with the following:  

  • finding, securing and keeping a home  
  • making sure you have the support you are entitled to from the local authority  
  • claiming the right level of benefits  
  • vocational training and technical qualifications 
  • wellbeing and building confidence, including access to support from specialist clinical psychologists. 

The type of support you receive will be based on your needs. One of our main priorities will be helping you to find a suitable home.  

Find out more about what we offer

Find a hostel or shelter

If you need a hostel or shelter now, the housing charity Shelter offers a broad range of advice and guidance. The Pavement magazine also has a list of night shelters on its services page.  

Get advice from your council

If you’re homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, your local council is likely to have a duty to help you stay in your home or find accommodation.  

They may also have a duty to house you depending on your circumstances, such as if you have children who depend on you. They have to provide you with advice on your housing situation and alternative housing options.  

Find out more about local councils:  

Find help to rent

Use this database to find projects and organisations that help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to find rented accommodation.

Access a specialist service

If you or someone you know needs support and advice on wellbeing matters, legal rights, money, domestic violence, benefits or youth homelessness, these organisations can help. Visit their websites or give them a call:  

Legal advice

Health & wellbeing

Financial advice

Domestic abuse

Find people

Young People (aged 16-25)

LGQBT (aged 16-25)

Get expert housing advice

The charity Shelter helps people struggling with bad housing or homelessness through free advice, support and legal services.   

They also have a lot of housing-related information on their website offering practical advice on homelessness, housing benefit, council housing, private renting and much more.  

They can also be called for free on 0808 800 4444

Worried about safety?

If you (or someone else) are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police or an ambulance.

If you or someone you know is sleeping rough in England, Wales or Scotland, around the Glasgow area, these local services offer help:

Find a free food station

Across Great Britain on any given day of the week, a number of organisations and volunteers provide free meals - hot breakfasts, lunches and dinners as well as soups, sandwiches and drinks - from various day centres, mobile kitchens and other venues.