Crisis brought together people with experience of homelessness, housing professionals, policy experts and international speakers for our first ever conference in Scotland in May 2017. The conference was part of the launch of our 50th anniversary, announcing our ambition to work with others in Scotland across the year to develop a long-term plan to end homelessness in the country.
The day was opened by a keynote speech form the First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon, who said: “Tackling all forms of homelessness must be a priority for any government. Here in Scotland we have made real progress in preventing homelessness, and we now have some of the strongest rights for homeless people in the world. But we know there’s still a lot more to do.
“Of course, none of this can be achieved by government alone, and we rely on the dedication and expertise of charities like Crisis. Together we’ve made a huge amount of progress, and my pledge to you is that we will continue to work closely in the years and decades ahead.”
- Rosanne Haggerty, Founder, Community Solutions, USA
- Naomi Eisenstadt CB, First Minister’s independent adviser on poverty and inequality, former director of the Social Exclusion Task Force
- Mel Young, President, Homeless World Cup and social entrepreneur
- Ligia Texeria, Head of Evaluation and Research, Crisis
- Jon Sparkes, Crisis Chief Executive
Presentations from the conference
Download the conference agenda (PDF).
- Community based approaches to ending homelessness (PPT), Rosanne Haggerty, President, Community Solutions
- What would ending homelessness look like? (PPT) Matthew Downie, Director of Policy and External Affairs
- How do we think differently about tackling homelessness? (PPT) (slide 18) Ann Gee, Independent Chair of the national group on Health Inequalities and Homelessness in Scotland (Chair), Naomi Eisenstadt, First Minister’s Independent Poverty Adviser, Mel Young, Founder of Homelessness World Cup, Lesley Fraser, Director of Housing and Social Justice, Scottish Government
- Finding a better frame: how to create more effective messages on homelessness (PDF), Ligia Teixeira, Crisis
- Creative approaches to preventing homelessness (PPT)
Read more about a plan to end homelessness.