Scrap the Vagrancy Act (2018)
This report looks at the case for repealing the Vagrancy Act 1824 in England and Wales.
- The historical background to the Act, particularly the original intent and assumptions behind it and the fact its use has hit peaks and troughs over time.
- The current use and effects of the Act.
- The likely effect of repeal on policing.
- How effective support would involve better outreach but also a more nuanced approach to any anti-social behaviour and crime that is linked to rough sleeping and/or begging.
- Legal considerations and why the Act might not be suitable for the present day.
- Discussion of the way forward.
Morris, N. (2019) Scrap the Vagrancy Act. London: Crisis.